Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Caturday Report! Heavy Metal Cat Dudes Book Is Out, With 700 Photos!

Rock on metal kittay!

"Skulls and Siamese. Corpse paint and Persians. Baphomet, pentagrams, blood, and tabbies!

Metal Cats
combines two amazing subjects: the extreme personalities of the hardcore metal music scene and their adorable kitties. These incredibly cute and fluffy felines have been photographed with their loving owners in and around the dark abodes of musicians, fans, and promoters of metal including members of the bands Black Goat, Thrones, Isis, Lightning Swords of Death, Book of Black Earth, Skarp, Harassor, Akimbo, Aldebaran, Atriarch, Oak, Ghoul, Ludicra, Holy Grail, Xasthur, Cattle Decapitation, Murder Construct, Exhumed, Morbid Angel, Municipal Waste, Skeletonwitch, Gypsyhawk, Nausea, Phobia, and Napalm Death.

Metal isn't all dark and disturbing, violent and misanthropic. Metal Cats is proof that while the music may be brutal, the people in the scene are softies for their pets just like you and me...

A portion of the proceeds from this book and a series of benefit shows held along the West Coast will go towards one no-kill shelter in each of the four main cities visited."



"Oakland-based photographer and Ph.D. student Alexandra Crockett spent four years traveling up and down the West Coast, documenting manly, masculine metal fans and their widdle cats. The result is Metal Cats, a collection of more than 700 photos of metaldudes posing lovingly with their feline pals, which will be published by powerHouse books next month. 

"When I decided to do it, I texted about 30 of my metalhead male friends, most of whom I knew already had cats," she told the Cut. "I just said, Hey, if I did this kind of, like, silly weird idea, what would you think about that? And they were all like, Oh my God, I really want to!”

Crockett, a longtime fixture on the West Coast metal scene, is an unlikely metal fan herself: “I like to call how I look in normal clothes my 'blonde-lady costume.' Nobody can tell I’m into metal when I go to school.” Which makes her a natural fit to find her inverse: Metal guys who just really want to cuddle up to something cute. She spoke to the Cut about cattitudes, gender politics, and what it’s like to be a female metalhead surrounded by cat-loving dudes."

Read the interview HERE !


No comments: